[OLPC_Boston] Open offer: Bug Advocacy workshop

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sat Dec 6 05:20:35 EST 2008

Offers I made tonight (they should and will also be made to other groups
when possible; I'm hosed and can't scale them out yet).

Details may be sparse here, as I'm a little sleep-deprived at the
moment. If something does not make sense, shout to the list with
questions, and I'll fix.

--Mel

* Bug advocacy workshop. The condition is that I (Mel) will come and
teach a workshop in person if you'll pay it forward and run a local
workshop teaching others how to do the same. If you want this, I'll need
2.5 hours, a room with intarwebs, transportation from the T, advance
notice (I can usually schedule things 24 hours in advance, and all dates
and times are fair game, but more time is better). This is an open offer
to anyone in the Boston area, but I have not yet found a way to make it
so. (Suggestions on this welcome, as is help.) I'm making this a local
offer first, because I'd like to try this out in person on a small
scale, but I want to make it make sense to push this beyond Boston as
soon as possible, and do that as soon as it does.

* Help with Expo posters and presentations related to OLPC or Sugar

* Sugar hacking/testing mentorship over winter break - right now, email
me + this list if you're interested. I'm trying to remove myself as a
bottleneck for it, and this is something that's going to be open to any
volunteer worldwide; if you want to be mentored, your first job is to
harass me to remove the bottleneck and make it possible for you and
others to get matched up for this thing in general. ;)

* if anyone is interested in helping me run the Sugar Labs Summer of
Code effort as a mentor organization co-coordinator, let me know. I do
not know how many people I can take for this yet, but I am very
interested in having extra hands, and it's a good chance to see what
things are like on the flip side of being an intern. I learned an
unbelievable amount about being an intern from running an internship
program 2 years ago... (Note: being a mentor or a mentor org coordinator
is unpaid, but very part time; being a mentee is a full-time paid summer
internship. See the FAQ at
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html and think about it
from the point of view of a mentoring organization - or a student, if
you'd rather go that route.)