[Olpc-za] Cape Town?

Francois Coetzee Francois.Coetzee at capetown.gov.za
Fri Jul 5 02:05:27 EDT 2013

Good Day,

We are researching introducing a community based WiFi Solution for the Khayalitsha/Mitchells Plain Area in Cape Town, South Africa.

I would like to propose the Laptop per child Mesh Networking technology as part of the solution.

Can you please put me in contact with somebody that can assist me in this regard?

1.       I am looking for technical detail pertaining to the Mesh Network penetration in metal shacks.

2.       I am also looking at the logistical issues. Availability and cost also.

3.       How would I calculate effective penetration in a area? Meaning, how many devices would be needed to blanket effectively an area.

4.       How many laptops to cover a square kilometre in a typical urban environment, where most dwellings are of metal sheeting/brick/wood construction.

The area we are looking at is at http://goo.gl/HVTRe.

Regards/Groete,

Francois Coetzee
Telecoms - Data Planning
Cell: 079-340 8501
Tel:  021-444-7038

City of Cape Town!
Municipal Building -  MAP<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103867122384915613351.000453ae02aa43a1c143b&ll=-33.838911,18.590755&spn=0.088259,0.180931&t=h&z=13>
Corner of Oxford & Queen Street

Disclaimer: This e-mail (including attachments) is subject to the disclaimer published at: http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/Pages/disclaimer.aspx. Please read the disclaimer before opening any attachment or taking any other action in terms of this e-mail. If you cannot access the disclaimer, kindly send an email to disclaimer at capetown.gov.za and a copy will be provided to you. By replying to this e-mail or opening any attachment you agree to be bound by the provisions of the disclaimer.