[Olpc-za] More SA computer projects (Re: Getting Involved)

Janissa Balcomb janissa at silverstar.com
Wed Jan 25 13:37:42 EST 2012

Hi Heather,

Russell Fox is someone else you might want to talk to about getting involved. He is working with a primary school near Ficksburg that has traditional desktop computers that are not being used for real learning.  Russell is working to change that.

Someone else you might want to talk to outside the OLPC circle is Colleen Smith of MindSet.org in Randburg.  MindSet is a nonprofit organization that produces some pretty amazing educational software and materials to support the South African school curriculum. They have started computer programs in a number of South African schools that might want some help.  If you contact her, please tell her I referred you.

Janissa Balcomb
Laptops to Lesotho Inc.
Hi Heather,

I met Janissa towards the end of last year and think that the project she is running is wonderful.

Anyone running a project of any sort can take notes from the processes they have put in place to ensure commitment from the children, teachers and more importantly the community. This is NOT another project where a bunch of computers are handed over and everyone pats themselves on their backs but rather a well thought out process culminating in an improved lifestyle for the children.

Definitely worth getting involved with/finding out about.

Regards
Russell Fox

+27 83 293 0977

Skype foxyfoxza