[Olpc-za] need help installing XS network server software

Janissa Balcomb janissa at silverstar.com
Mon Oct 10 19:40:26 EDT 2011

I'm the president of Laptops to Lesotho Inc, a U.S.-based nonprofit organization that provides refurbished XO-1 laptops to children in a remote village in Lesotho.
Last November, we tried to set up a wireless LAN network, but we were unable to download the network software directly onto the network server, as planned, because the internet signal failed.  I tried loading it from a USB drive, but that didn't work.

I'm going back to Lesotho in a few weeks, and I will be bringing the XS software with me on a CD this time.  I'm going to try to install it on a PC that is running Windows XP.

I'm going to be in the village 18 November until 9 December.  I have the instructions from the OLPC website for setting up  a network, but I have never set up a network before.  I'm wondering if there's anyone who would be available to consult over the phone in case I run into trouble and need help.  I have to call because there is still no internet signal in the village and it's a tough 8 hour drive to the nearest internet service.

Thank you,
Janissa Balcomb