[Olpc-za] Fix clock problem

Evert Groenewald evert at coldsea.co.za
Fri Apr 1 15:23:41 EDT 2011

Op 28/11/2010 19:11, het Evert Groenewald geskryf:
> Hi list
> I am the owner of a OLPC  XO1 (via Ebay) that has the "RTC chip lost
> power" http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_clock problem. I've tried without
> much success to fix the problem. Currently I have a cable (Nokia DKU-5)
> that has been "hacked" so that http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Serial_adapters
> it has a serial connecter that fits onto the OLPC motherboard. I can see
> the connection when starting up minicom but seem unable to connect so
> that I can fix the problem. That leaves three possibilities, a) the OLPC
> is really bricked (which I do not believe is the case) or b) that the
> hacked wire has not been correctly hacked and thus cannot communicate
> correctly with the OLPC motherboard, or c) that doing this is just
> beyond my admittedly very limited technical abilities.
> My eight year old niece is coming for a visit over new year from Oz
> (first time that we will meet in person) and I would like to give the
> OLPC to her.
> Is there someone on the list that can be of assistance please? Does
> someone know where I can source a serial adapter cable + connecter, or
> have one that I can borrow to try and fix the problem. Is there anyone
> in SA that has any experience with this problem that can be of
> assistance?  Should I be unable to apply the fix myself, I am willing to
> courier the laptop to whoever would be willing to help.
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> evert

Hi list
To all who tried to help and gave advice. My OLPC lives again.
Unfortunately my niece has come and gone a long time ago but it is
working now. Please don't ask how - all I will say is that howto's
should not always be trusted.
Have upgraded the firmware and the software, to most recent versions.
Installed XOpup onto a SDcard and is running that now.

Thanks

evert