[Olpc-za] Laptops to Lesotho looking for technical assistance

Janissa janissa at silverstar.com
Tue Jul 13 16:07:32 EDT 2010

Laptops to Lesotho is a small nonprofit organization helping children in the remote mountain community of Ketane, Lesotho.  We started in late 2009 with the hopes of getting an OLPCorps Africa grant, but when OLPC ended that program, we moved ahead on our own.

We have a very powerful team of ten people in Lesotho, South Africa, and the U.S.  Three other nonprofits have partnered with us, and we have raised enough money to get the program started.

There are currently two XO laptops, two Windows-based computers, and one solar panel in place in Ketane.  We have purchased 50 used XO laptops on the open market and will be refurbishing those.   In the next few months, we hope to expand the solar power system and add the network and internet infrastructure.

Here's our problem.  We have an I.T. advisor in Durban, but we haven't heard from him in several months.  Now we are a the point where we really need some technical assistance.  So, we are wondering if there is anyone from the olpc-za list who would like to volunteer to help us.  We especially need someone who can answer some technical questions about the XO laptops and the internet set up.

We are planning to be in Ketane for a number of years and then expand to surrounding communities, so we are interested both in people who would like to help us out of this temporary pinch, as well as those who would like to volunteer for the long-term.  If you are interested in helping, you can contact me through this list or via my email, janissa at silverstar.com.

Cheers,
Janissa Balcomb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Janissa Balcomb
President
Laptops to Lesotho
55 Eagle Creek Rd
Wayan ID 83285, USA
+1 208 574 2990
janissa at silverstar.com

Laptops to Lesotho:
    Home Page
    Blog

Reports & Reviews of Laptops to Lesotho:
    GreatNonprofits.org Reviews
    GuideStar.org Report

Donate to Laptops to Lesotho at:
    Network for Good
    Facebook Causes
    JustGive.org
    Donate your OLPC XO laptop

Partners:
    BLOOM Africa
    Foundation for International Professional Exchange
    Friends of Lesotho

About Lesotho