[Olpc-za] Sugar Desktop

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu Mar 19 11:28:51 EDT 2009

I wrote this. If it makes any sense, let me know. *

Sugar Desktop Environment*
I'm a fan of the Sugar desktop environment which has been abandoned
somewhat by the OLPC XO project who are focusing on hardware. It was
originally bundled with Fedora but has now been ported to ubuntu and is
available using:

apt-get install sugar sugar-activities

The reason why I'm a fan, aside from the beautifully abstract and
visually interesting desktop GUI is from an evolutionary and educational
perspective. I believe it is pedogologically correct to have a system in
which one can introduce programmes to the desk without having to commit
each and every session. Programmes that are not used, can be put away
preferably under lock and key, and with more development it would be a
simple matter to be able to manage zones, dedicated to various activities.

While this may not sound terribly revolutionary, in fact rather old-hat
for a lot of us, the simple activitation of a Sugar activity represents
an evolutionary fork in GUI development that is missing from every other
more advanced GUI/Desktops.

Even in Windows, processes can be started and stopped, but it is Sugar
which offers a graphical and ubiquitous solution which makes sense to a
cluttered desktop system in a visual way, and can also be seen as a form
of administration , as we advance towards large stacks of code.

Users don't always have enough computer power to operate every
application that comes their way, and the Ubuntu environment becomes
cluttered very quickly. Why must we keep everything in the system, or in
memory somewhere? Yes with all the dependencies that are generated by
today's computer programmes, keeping a machine lean and fast, in essence
managing an OS is an impossible task. There must be a simple way of
managing resources without having to drop down to the CLI or having to
constantly install or uninstall, in effect using synaptic to manage the
system.

Sugar sugests that as Ubuntu scales up, you are free to leave more in
the system but, there is always the option of putting the application or
activity away in a user-friendly manner.

Again, I like the possibility of infinite virtualisation offered by
locking down x spaces in what UNIX freaks refer to as jails. This should
be standard on any desktop. The ability to hack away at a part of the
system without affecting or compromising the entire system. The ability
to visually understand the many layers of Ubuntu with a Sugar interface
simply because, Ubuntu has all of this power which is not being
utilised. In essense we are still looking at the OS (and computer) from
an *old-fashioned bureau or portmanteau point of view* -- A place to
keep your pens and calculators, gimzos and gadgets but not the kind of
ubiquitous environment in which you can edit video, mashup audio and
whiteboard without compromising speed or power, which is what the Sugar
XO system would offer us if it was developed as an addition to the
Ubuntu system just like KDE, XFCE and GNOME.

Then there is the wonderful fact that in Sugar you are not expected to
remember anything. Your work on a Sugar Desk can be part of an ongoing
log in which you can always look back at the various instances of your
OS. I would love to have the Sugar develop to the point at which you
have multiple undoes of the desktop and the underlying OS. At least this
is what seems to be the metanarrative suggested by the Sugar project

In the future all computers will be able to do this. Unfortunately,
Sugar is in danger of dying, simply because not enough orientation has
been done on the long-term goals of the Sugar project and its
relationship to Ubuntu Should Ubuntu in the future come with a Sugar
option? What would happen if the Sugar session took over the look and
feel of Ubuntu, would we be willing to sacrifice our Gnome/KDE/XFCE
identities?

I love Gnome, its my friend, but I also like Sugar and the two are about
the best desktops next to KDE that I have seen in the world of Linux.
Sugar offers us a brand-new environment for experimentation in which
many of the applications available in KDE for instance may take on new
form.

I have already suggest Sugar as a vehicle for modifications and as a
place to produce wonderful works of artifice. I would love to see a
decent Sugar audio playa that interacted with other Sugar desks. We are
rapidly approaching the point where all this will become a possibility
as the network takes on new forms. The Sugar desktop is a portal to a
new networked reality in which the WWW is merely one facet, not the end
goal. Applications that work together in new ways - this is what I
foresee in the near future, environments that are rock-solid because of
Ubuntu, with all the speed that we can bring without compromising
serendipity, creativity, conscious exploration.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.