[Olpc-za] Getting involved

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 05:05:18 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:43, Marco Rosa <marcorosa at mweb.co.za> wrote:
> Hi. Could someone please help me with information on how to get involved
> with OLPC in South Africa, particularly in the Western Cape. Thanks,

Hi Marco

There's very little happening, which means you can choose anything and
it will make a difference :-)

As far as deployments go, there are none in the Western Cape. There's
one in Gauteng at Kliptown Youth Project in Soweto, and there's one
happening now in Limpopo at three small schools. Both of those were
funded by donations (Give Many) by overseas people and organisations.

Here then are some ways to get involved locally:
* Find organisations willing to donate, to raise funds to run a
deployment in the Western Cape. Minimum order is 100 XOs, and someone
must take responsibility for doing the deployment - and additional
things are required too like access points, internet connectivity,
generators, server for the school, etc.
* Work with educators, educational organisations, on the Sugar
software - get them set up with it on say Ubuntu on conventional
computers, get them involved in using/testing the software and giving
feedback

Or you could get involved in the (global project) software development
process, contributing or testing or documenting...

You can apply through the contributors program to get an XO, and use
that for development, or demonstrating to raise funds, etc.

Or any number of other things I can't think of right now :)

What appeals to you?

Regards
Morgan