[Olpc-za] XO cost

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 04:48:29 EDT 2007

> According to CNN, the XO is now costs only $188!
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/09/14/hundred.dollar.laptop.ap/index.html

What nobody reports in this type of article is that the OLPC isn't a
standalone item. You don't deploy n laptops and finish there, at a
minimum there will be a school server, the "XS". A typical school will
have more than one server, a satellite dish or other internet
connectivity, and depending on local electricity or lack thereof, a
generator.

Whenever the subject of selling the laptops retail to the public comes
up, it shows people don't understand the project, since a lot of the
real benefit comes through the network collaboration, which to some
extent requires the above infrastructure.

IMHO the only reason why the price is "news" is because Negroponte
originally used the $100 as an audacious differentiating factor to
give the project buzz. Whenever I mention "One Laptop Per Child" I get
blank looks, but when I say, "$100 laptop" people say that they have
heard of it.

Even if the price never gets to $100, I'm sure it will always be
called the $100 laptop...

Just my 2c worth!

Morgan