[Olpc-za] comic content :-)

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Fri Sep 14 09:54:15 EDT 2007

Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:

> Ongini! ("How are you?" in Oshiwambo :-)

Ndi philili, enkosi. Kunjani kuwe?

("I'm well, thank you. How's yerself?" in Xhosa. :-)

> On 04/09/2007, Jeff <jeff at wildcoast.com> wrote:
>> http://www.schoolnet.na/haiti/index.html
>
> ... and an article about this is in the latest issue of Linux
> Magazine:
>
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/issues/2007/82/funny_pages/(kategorie)/0

I must admit that Hai Ti and the NGO comics with a particular
educational agenda were not exactly what I had in mind when I said
that comics can potentially instill a love of reading in kids. I was
thinking more about my own upbringing (before television in SA) with
Superman, the Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Richy Rich, Casper and
friends, etc..

It's good thinking to have technical tips in the context specific
comics... but it would be far more effective to simply let kids have
access to www.comics.com. My feeling is that there is a gray area
where caching of comic content on the OLPC servers would be fair use,
and not technically constitute copyright infringement.

A reward system could be setup to allow a child to download a comic
book each week (or strips each day) conditional on the achievement of
specific goals.

-Jeff

P.S. This might be worth a download:
http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/digital.php