[Olpc-za] culture sharing initiative - workshop in Johannesburg

Antoine van Gelder children at laptop.org.za
Thu May 17 14:19:35 EDT 2007

KARA SPRINGER wrote:
> Hi,  I posted a bit about this on the open forum.  I'm
> a student working on my thesis in paris which is
> turning into a culture sharing initiative i'd like to
> be able to run alongside the implementation of the XO
> laptops.  It's basically an open web-based platform
> for artists/writers/academics/ and storytellers to
> share their work and ideas, after which users can
> engage with it (in video clip format) through
> translation as well as organizing the clips into
> whatever discussion threads they find interesting.
> It's a program i'd like to connect to current open
> courseware projects whereby students (or non-students)
> who become interested in a topic through creative
> explorations of it by members of local as well as
> international communities - dance, folktales,
> literature, etc, could then connect to more structured
> content through MIT or UWC for example.

Hi Kara,

Your project sounds like a perfect antidote to all the computer science
that's going to be drilled into the kids!

My wife and I are based in Cape Town so please shout if you're going to
make it down here as we'll probably be able to help with getting you in
touch with the local artistic community, resources, logistics etc.

 - a