[Olpc-za] A few questions

Stuart Murray-Smith eight32 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 06:08:06 EDT 2007

> My name is Faaiez. I live in Johannesburg so unfortunately cannot attend all
> the Cape Town meetings etc. I have been watching and reading about the OLPC
> project for a while now and have a few questions.

Hi Faaiez

Firstly, your interest in the OLPC is appreciated and welcomed :-)

I'm just as much as an enthusiast of the OLPC as anyone, and speak
with no authority on the subject. As a subscriber to the OLPC-za list,
I feel that the questions you've asked are pertinent and conducive to
encouraging discussion on the subject, so while I may try to be as
objective as possible, my answers may be subject more to
interpretation.

As far as I understand the concept, the OLPC association has developed
the product, outsourced the mass production (units to the order of
millions) to hardware manufactures, and then deliver the finished
product directly to the learner. This seems to streamline the process
and reduce costs drasticly by not  requiring retailers (advertising,
staffing and storage overheads), and minimal tech support staff. I
think the idea is to get a computer onto the desk of a learner as
inexpensively and efficiently as possible. I can appreciate now the
effect of owning a good ol' ZX Spectrum /*64k mind you*/ had on my
development in the sciences :-)

> 1)       Have we looked at manufacturing these laptops in SA? Why not or
> findings thereof.

Yes, I've always wondered why we don't assemble computers (in general)
here ourselves. Generally, it would require a long-term industrial
development curve. Specificly, are we capable of assembling OLPC
laptaps at the cost of an entry level cell phone ($100 approx under
R700) just yet?

> 2)       How would someone get involved in this project?

Best answered by Antoine :-) I do think, however, that getting behind
OLPC-za (which is a grassroots initiative) will generate momentum by
its strength in numbers.

> 3)       When is the expected roll-out or sale of these laptops in SA?

As much as I understand, these devices are not for sale. The delivery
model is organisational and not commercial, as much as education /*in
under-developed areas*/ is institutional. I'm also condident we'll be
seeing these laptops in our schools quite soon.

> 4)       What is the implementation plan for SA?

Hmmm... very good question :-) I've seen some favourable responses,
and can only hope it continues to fruition. Anyone have any ideas?

HTH, and have a great day!

Regards,

Stuart

--
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.