[Olpc-za] Small Companies That Try to Bring Innovative Technology to Teaching - New York Times

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Tue Jun 26 03:50:54 EDT 2007

On 22 Jun 2007, at 1:53 PM, Antoine van Gelder wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/21/business/smallbusiness/
> 21edge.html?
> ei=5070&em=&en=30368db593d684da&ex=1182571200&pagewanted=all

Bah! 'reply all' is an archaic and almost entirely deprecated usenet
convention. :-)

Check this out. The outline is kind of bare, but the concept is
infinitely better than the $60bn industry alleged above (:

http://drupaled.openacademic.org/

It's kind of a cross authentication and integration platform for
Drupal, Moodle and Wikimedia. How kewl is that?!

(http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue12_3/keats/index.html)

"Perhaps most important, we need to come to terms with the fact that
we are at a tipping-point in higher education, one that will lead us
to "education 3.0," defined in part as "social networking outside
traditional boundaries of discipline, institution, nation," "loose
institutional affiliations and relations; [and the] entry of new
institutions that provide higher education services."
(http://www.academiccommons.org/commons/essay/distance-learning-
listening)

http://freecourseware.uwc.ac.za/index.php?
module=blog&action=viewsingle&postid=init_1875_1176897746&userid=1

http://lawspace.law.uct.ac.za:8080/dspace/handle/2165/237 is a long
pdf on fair use exceptions in SA. Written in 1978 it appears to make
sufficient allowance for the copying of text books (or sections
thereof) for educational purposes. Like, say, emulating Kenya
digitizing their entire syllabus but (not!) distributing it via
handheld WorldSpace receivers with school base stations providing the
asynchronous semi-simplex bidirectional 'communication':
http://www.eduvision.or.ke/home/home.html . . .

I'm not particularly sorry if my AAADD (Age Acquired Attention
Deficit Disorder) has you wondering if any of the above may have
particular meaning or relevance to OLPC; as the probable answer is
no. However, in mitigation, it's symptomatic of the schizophrenic dis-
coordinated infancy days of Open Courseware ideology and commercially
Enhanced Digital Learning.

Anyway, I have yet to be convinced that there is a major difference
between classes that will be offered on XOs... and in vanilla client/
server environments. Ideological core dumps appreciated.

Irie blessings,

-
Jeff Brown
wildcoast.com
074-101 5170

8< --
Do not believe in miracles -- rely on them.