[Olpc-za] A Journey into Constructivism

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Sun Aug 26 13:20:02 EDT 2007

Ronald Wertlen wrote:

> As Leone says, we are all busy people. Verbosity tends to obscure the
> point. It also makes it more difficult for future generations to go
> back
> and see what the cause of current problems may be (as far as something
> like that could be read in a mailing list archive). I hope list
> submissions are kept to the point and do not ramble on too long.

The main point is that the standard of education in South Africa is
so poor in rural areas - even compared to the majority of developing
countries - that nothing short of radical adjustment to foreseeable
realities is even remotely feasible. Half measures will not work.

Foreseeable realities include:

* ubiquitous, affordable internet access (it's easier than supplying
taps, and a more important basic right)
* ubiquitous educational tools: PC/XO
* ubiquitous adaptable content / collaboration (hierarchically reviewed)
* accurate monitoring and reporting
* social / organic groups of collective interest (shared information
systems)
* on-line mentoring

Scale: by bootstrapping the syllabus to the OS framework - kids can
create content and compilations while doing typing exercises.

I'm not advocating that 'successful' schools change their models
immediately - but rather that the XO be supplemented (with content)
into rural areas as a High Priority. We don't have time for a slow
debate.

And "good enough" evolutionary theories are not the point. History
has never presented mankind with a bigger opportunity to fuck up. To
avert an imminent social crisis we need to move toward the open
communications that technology affords us. Immediately.

-Jeff