[Olpc-za] Projects in the Eastern Cape [was: Small question !]

Ronald Wertlen ronald.wertlen at gmx.net
Tue Aug 21 09:10:16 EDT 2007

Hi Lungi (and Jeff and Antoine),

I just prepared a new info page regarding our project in that area,
http://ekhayaict.com/eKhaya_ICT_Zwelenqaba.php
there is a conjunction of several projects at the area between Dwesa
(Nqabara) and Coffee Bay - i.e. Mbashe and King Sabata Dalindyebo
Municipalities in the Amathole and OR Thambo districts. Please refer to
the map at the bottom of the abovementioned page.

The slant of the SELF/eKhaya ICT project is to build a good, working
concept for Web 2.0 in African communities that do not have power. Such
solar classrooms and community centres could feasibly provide income and
education for the communities.

This is very similar to what the University of Fort Hare and Rhodes
University are working on. eKhaya ICT is also contracting with the
University of Fort Hare, so there is close cooperation on that level as
well.

The projects Jeff Brown is powering around Hole-in-the-Wall have a more
curriculum orientated slant and look at developing free learning
content, as far as I have understood Jeff. Jeff, I am sure you will
correct me, or at least expand on this.

Best regards,
Ron

--