[Olpc-uk] OLPC UK Digest 2009-10-09

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Oct 9 21:05:49 EDT 2009

== OLPC UK Digest 2009-10-09 ==

Peter Robinson and I met again to discuss all things Sugar and OLPC
(UK and otherwise).  Here's a summary.  Normal cabal-disclaimers fnord
apply.

=== London SMSC Pilot Update ===

Plenty of progress and activity occurring at SMSC.  We're expecting
OLPC UK blog entries from the tech (Peter) and school (Gemma) side
soon.

SMSC has gotten a charging cabinet to charge the laptops in the
classroom, because without it and not being allowed power strips, the
laptops have to be taken to the computer lab overnight to be charged.

Simon Schampijer's blog posts about teaching with Sugar have been very
timely and useful:

http://erikos.sweettimez.de/?p?7
http://erikos.sweettimez.de/?p?6
http://erikos.sweettimez.de/?p?9

I forgot to mention to Peter that there are some teaching notes on our
own wiki:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Pilots/Resources

=== UK Marketing ===

Rumours of a blog entry from OLPC UK marketing (Michael) are swirling.
We need to be ready to engage new interested contributors in the
likely event of marketing efforts paying off in the next month or
quarter.

What would we tell people saying just "wow cool...can I help?"?

=== Sugar on a Stick ===

The next Sugar on a Stick release will be around the end of November.
Sebastian, the maintainer, is updating schedule due to the recent
Fedora 12 schedule change.  SoaS-on-XO-1 is now being built at the
same time the normal SoaS, and can be downloaded here:

http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/2/

...and new snapshots in preparation for the beta launch will be
 announced to the sugar-devel at lists.laptop.org and
 fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com, like:

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-October/019991.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-olpc-list/2009-September/msg00067.html

SoaS's future at Sugar Labs is being debated - including other OLPC UK
members Daniel Drake and Faisal Khan - on soas at lists.sugarlabs.org -
you can see the draft report at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Decision_panels/SOAS .

=== Next meeting ===

The meeting this past Tuesday was canceled for lack of RSVPs, so
Peter and Michael had a chat on Wednesday instead.  The next one has
yet to be scheduled.  There is some interest from a potential team of
physics students of Kunal's.

=== OLPC UK meta coffee ===

In case anyone else wants to while away a few minutes on a Friday
morning, meet us inside the Starbucks at St. Katherine's Docks at 8:15
AM on Friday, Oct 23rd, 2009.