[Olpc-uk] OLPC UK Library Update 20090505

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue May 5 19:48:37 EDT 2009

== OLPC UK Library Update 20090505 ==

The OLPC UK Local Laptop Lending Library (LLLL) has received its
laptop allocation courtesy of OLPC.

Here is an updated status and the next steps; but first, please recall
that the purpose of the combined Library / Repair Centre is to:

* support the OLPC mission and community via lending out laptops to UK
  volunteers / contributors; and

* facilitate with space, materiel, and expertise XO repairs by
  volunteers; and

* encourage, enable, and support Contributor Program applicants from
  the UK.

=== Status ===

- 10 laptops and 8 working batteries are in the UK

- All laptops have developer keys, have been flashed to latest
  firmware (Q2E41), and have the latest Sugar-on-a-Stick build
  (Rawhide/Fedora 11 + OLPC kernel) installed.

- 3 pairs of laptops are available for borrowing:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Olpcuk_llll_sixlaptopsmontage_dsc07664-small.jpg

- 2 pairs of laptops have been lent to developer Library beta-testers
  in central London (est return time: 1.5 months)

- More help is always needed with outreach, hardware wrangling,
  mentoring, etc.  Please get in touch directly or via
  olpc-uk at lists.laptop.org.  Better yet, Just Do It - whatever you
  you're trying to help with - and I/people will try to keep up
  (Forgiveness vs. Permission).

=== Next steps ===

- Review plans at OLPC UK meeting:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#Month_2

- Flesh out "How do I get a laptop" instructions:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#How_do_I_get_a_Laptop.3F

- Get people interested in borrowing laptops

- Start Repair Centre hardware triage

- Start Library inventory system with (gcstar, probably)