[Olpc-uk] Plz Apply: Free XO Laptop Parts Machines!

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Mar 27 16:51:08 EDT 2009

Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/3/27 Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>:
>
>> I've put this proposal together with some initial feedback on the wiki at:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Repair_Centre
>>
>> Please can people chime in with questions / refinements / offers to
>> help :).
>>

> Who is "we"? Who's going to stock them, do the repairs, deal with the
> "customers", etc. How much will it cost for each repair type? etc.
>
> I fully support the idea of a repair center, and I'd be over the moon
> if you or someone else is volunteering, but the proposal lacks details
> on how it will be executed.

Please check out (or even imitate!) these community repair centers if
you need inspiration:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Repair_center_locations

Definitely edit the above page, listing your link/proposal under
"Potential repair centers" if you decide to move forward!

> I don't quite understand the lending library concept - I think these
> are for spare parts, not for distribution as laptops (Adam was a bit
> unhappy when another country used them for other purposes). Also I
> think contributors program applications can be submitted direct from
> the UK, without having to go through a library or repair center.

An in-country or Local Laptop-Lending Library (LLLL!) can be a very
exciting, sustainable and so far very much highly under-utilized way to
spur in-person or by-mail participaction.

Define your own policies, and OLPC's Contributors Program will supply
you laptops -- we mainly ask 1 thing -- that you find innovative way(s)
for your LLLL to reach out to creative community contributors in your area!

Thankfully there are over 10 groups (in Australia, New Zealand, France,
Austria, Philippines, Malaysia, Texas, Washington DC, San Francisco,
Boston/MIT, etc) now putting great proposals together around Libraries /
Project Pools / Branch Libraries.

Go for it if you know a "Librarian Entrepreneur" in your area that can
get you started:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program_criteria