[Olpc-uk] A good example...

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Jun 3 23:13:56 EDT 2009

...of communicating an exploratory meeting...we should consider the
same type of communication back to the Sugar Labs general
(ieap at lists.sugarlabs.org) and/or OLPC grassroots
(grassroots-l at lists.laptop.org) lists as appropriate.

Martin

----- Forwarded message from Frederick Grose <fgrose at sugarlabs.org> -----

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:36:14 -0400
From: Frederick Grose <fgrose at sugarlabs.org>
Subject: [IAEP] Sugar Labs meet H-FOSS
To: iaep SugarLabs <iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org>

Credit Greg Dekoenigsberg for introducing some of us to Ralph Morelli, Heidi
Ellis, and Trishan de Lanerolle, who have established the Humanitarian FOSS
Project, http://www.hfoss.org/, growing out of Trinity College, Wesleyan
University, and Connecticut College in the USA.
David Farning suggested that we hold a conference call to share experiences
about summer institutes, such as their
http://www.hfoss.org/index.php?page=hfoss-summer-institute, and our
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Summer_Program.

Then, Kevin Cole posted a referral,
http://www.mail-archive.com/iaep@lists.sugarlabs.org/msg04175.html, to Paul
Flint's Barre Open Systems Institute, http://www.bosivt.org/, in Barre,
Vermont USA.

Karlie Robinson and I have been supporting Stephen Jacobs' Honors Seminar at
the Rochester Institute of Technology,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/RIT_honors_seminar,_developing_for_the_OLPC_XO,
the Math4 Project, http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Math4Team, and Co-ops in the
Rochester Sugar Summer Program.

So today, we (David, Ralph, Heidi, Trishan, Stephen, Karlie, Paul, & Fred)
joined in a conference call to introduce ourselves and learn more about the
project and programs.  (A collection of web links are available from our
conference at
http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/sugar-meeting.minutes.20090603_1310.html, from
a short irc log,
http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/sugar-meeting.log.20090603_1310.html.)

Ralph shared some history of the H-FOSS project, pretty much as reported on
their home page, and Heidi pointed us to her SoftHum wiki,
http://edudev.hfoss.org/index.php/Main_Page.

Paul described his proposal for a small workshop in Barre,
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/maple, (perhaps the weekend of 17-21 July 2009)
to test install Sugar on a Stick on several old computers in schoolroom so
they can support a team programming room for FOSS projects in the Barre
Institute.  Paul reports that Jeff Elkner with
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs_DC will be attending.

In Rochester, we have a nascent Sugar Institute,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Summer_Program/Ideas, with 3 full-time
Co-ops and other members of the
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Rochester,_NY grassroots
special interest group, and we are open to more participants and guests
willing to help build the program.

This posting is to intended to expose the Sugar Labs community to our
projects, and to invite a continuing discussion of how we all can contribute
to building the Sugar and FOSS ecosystems.

Thank you for reading, and we hope you are inspired to join in some way.
         --Fred

IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org