[Olpc-uk] Laptops

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Jul 22 15:42:38 EDT 2009

Hi Sheila,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 05:27:40PM +0100, sheila.garvin at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> I am assiting a project in rural Gambia, which is involved in the
> education of children and adults  WYCE.

You may want to investigate whether any OLPCCorps volunteers got to
Gambia this summer: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPCorps_SCC_The_Gambia
...though it doesn't look like they did.

> I have been researching wind up laptops and beleive that these are
> the way forward for the third world.

Just to double-check, what we have are XO-1s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO-1

...and they don't have a hand crank.

> I would love to try, and maybe buy. can you assist?
> I live in Wolverhampton so could visit you.

Sure - can you let me know where to send one and how long you'll need
it for?

How can we help you get the most benefit out of your time with the XO?

Are you aware that you can download the software it runs and run it on
most PCs?  Have a look here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick

You can read more about the Laptop Lending Library we operate here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre .

> Thanks
> Sheila Garvin

Martin