[Olpc-uk] Preparation for pilot deployment and teacher training

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 06:49:30 EDT 2009

Hi All,

> Now that we have laptops on their way from the US its time to ramp up
> the planning for the deployment.
>
> There are a number of issues and upcoming milestones that will need
> quite a bit of planning and lots of hands on deck for assistance.
>
> We have 50 laptops on their way but somewhere between 1 and 50 of
> these don't work. So the plan is to have a test day to go through all
> the laptops and test them, document them (hardware issues, serial
> numbers etc), unlock them (developer codes etc) and generally do some
> testing on them with an initial software image (SoaS Strawberry). I'll
> host this at my house with the date possibly being this weekend
> dependant on whether the laptops have made it through customs etc.
> Keep your diary open :-) I'm based right near clapham junction station
> which has good connections from Victoria, Waterloo and London
> overground as well as buses. Reply to this mail if your interested in
> helping out. I will confirm the date once we know we'll have laptops.
>
> The teacher training day is one week from today (Tuesday 14th July).
>
> The web team is getting together on the following day (Wednesday 15th July).
>
> I'll be leading the hardware/software side of the pilot with Martin
> Dengler's help :-)
>
> Questions/queries/offers of assistance all welcome :-)

We now have confirmation that the XOs are on terra firma in London so
for those that are interested and available I plan to have the first
testing session from 13:00 on this coming Saturday. My house is
located near Clapham Junction station and if you could confirm
availability by replying to this email. I'll email address details
directly.

The plan is to go through the laptops and test as many as possible and
document them for what works and doesn't work. Get the details and
disable security. From there depending on time we'll flash them up to
a newer release and try and fix broken ones. We'll also get 6 or so up
and running in preparation for teacher training.

No doubt afterwards if anyone is keen we can grab some dinner etc in
one of the many places near by in the early evening.

For those that can't make this Saturday, please pencil next Saturday
into your diary as well :-)

Peter