[Olpc-uk] OLPC (UK) Update - July 5, 2009

Warren Pimm wpimm at mac.com
Thu Jul 9 01:39:17 EDT 2009

Thanks Steve,

Great stuff.  Would direct you to Amir Ansari who has probably put the
most time into teacher training so far, though Peter Robinson and
Martin Dengler woud also be good resources.

At this point it is an all parties involed process given the
timelines, however please do step in.

I mentioned Emma as another good contributor given her background in
teacher training and technology.

As well Dom has been working on the Web side to incorporate a teacher
section in the OLPC (UK) website and Wiki site as they come together -
another point of contact.

Could I suggest a meeting (in person or by IRC) over the weekend to
review, discuss, and assemble things in advance of our orientation
session on the 14th.

Further thoughts on your questions are listed below.

Thanks for reconfirming and stepping forward.

On 2009-07-08, at 11:32 PM, Steve Berryman <steve at berryman.org.uk>
wrote:

> I said that i was more than happy to help out in any way possible
> with the teacher training. I will not be able to make it to the
> actual training day next tuesday though - there is no way i'll be
> able to get out of work on time for it.

Understood.

> I'm not exactly sure what is still needed - from what i gather there
> are a few things that need to be worked out.

That's great, good to confirm.

> Has anyone made a start on lesson plans, or even thinking about how
> the activites can fit in to the current curriculum?

There has been a good amount of work in this area, pulling from a
number of different areas and sources (Sugar, OLPC Wiki site, other
pilot sites, etc.)

> Martin has just lent me an XO to play with, so i'll start to think
> about how some of them can be used, but i also dont really know what
> sort of things they are learning. does anyone?

Good additional sites to review for UK ICT curriculum would be BECTA
and UK Open Source Schools.

> What sort of things were planned, if anything, for the teacher
> training?

Reach Amir Ansari.

>  is it a 'get to know the XO' session, or are they expecting to be
> shown how this will change their classroom?

First session will be introductory and orientational to start, however
will be iterative as well to incorporate the teachers thoughts on use
and discussion on incorporation into the cirriculum plan.

> It would be nice to consolidate any information/plans, however
> informal or vague somewhere.

Check with Amir Ansari.  Another great resource in this area is
Daniel, our resident OLPC implementation guru.