[Olpc-uk] [laptop.org #37030] Contributors Program Application OLPC UK / Regional XO Laptop Library Proposal [Martin Dengler]

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Apr 3 12:43:40 EDT 2009

Hi,

Below are the requested additional details of the OLPC UK Local Laptop
Lending Library / Repair Centre Proposal.  I'm also happy to note that
two more people have put their hands up to help with the proposed LLLL
/ RC.

The proposal and latest state of play are, as always, online at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre

Thanks,
Martin

===1. Project Title & Shipment Detail===
:'''Name of Project: ([[Projects|WEB-PUBLISHED]])''':

OLPC UK Lending Library and Repair Centre

:'''Shipping Address You've Verified:'''

OLPC UK
c/o Martin Dengler
1 Prescot Street #13
London
E1 8RJ

Phone: +44 778 612 6209

:'''Number of Laptops (or other hardware) You Request to Borrow:'''

# 10 D stock (would accept less)
# 20 M stock (would accept less)
# 35 chargers (would accept less)

:'''Loan Length—How Many Months:'''

N/A - applying for stock to loan out from the LLLL / Repair Centre

=== 2. Team Participants ===

:'''Name(s) & Contact Info: (include all email addresses & phone
numbers)'''

# Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com +44 778 612 6209
# Dom Baker (signed up on wiki page; contact details being solicited)
# David Craddock david.paul.craddock at googlemail.com

For most recent list, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre

===3. Objectives===
:'''Project Objectives: ([[Projects|WEB-PUBLISHED]])

The combined Lending Library / Repair Centre will serve to:

- support the OLPC mission and community via lending out laptops to UK
  volunteers / contributors; and

- facilitate with space, materiel, and expertise XO repairs by
  volunteers; and

- encourage, enable, and support Contributor Program applicants from
  the UK.

We see the Lending Library and Repair Centre concepts as symbiotic and
synergistic: the same set of hardware and volunteers can both
encourage the OLPC mission and supply a volunteer-run Repair Centre.

For the most recent list, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#Objectives

For most recent examples, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#Examples

===4. Plan of Action===

The specifics "on-the-ground" that are consistent with OLPC and OLPC
UK's mission and the objectives above imply a plan like the following
(that we intend to fine-tune based on feedback and experience):

==== Month 1 ====

* Refine this plan on the olpc-uk mailing list
* publicise project
* continue to solicit volunteers
* survey OLPC / SugarLabs activities to find potential LLLL
* beneficiaries (LLLL)
* survey XO-1 in-country base as best possible (Repair Centre)

==== Month 2 ====

* Receive, inventory, and triage hardware
* begin hardware repairs
* reach out to community of LLLLs and RCs to a) share/exchange "market
* research"; b) proposal acceptance criteria (LLLL); and c) repair
* tips (RC)
* prepare LLLL / RC administrative support (web site(s), statistics,
* etc.)
* continue to publicise project
* continue to solicit volunteers
* gather LLLL applications

==== Month 3 ====

* continue hardware repairs
* gather LLLL mentors
* on the basis of mentors and applications, approve first LLLL
* application(s)
* continue publicity / volunteer solicitation efforts

==== Month 4 ====

''steady state''

* receive / repair / send out hardware (RC)
* monitor / mentor / share LLLL projects
* solicit / receive / approve LLLL applications
* continue publicity / volunteer solicitation efforts

For most recent month-by-month plan, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#Specifics

===5. Needs===

:'''Why is this project needed?'''

See "Objectives" above.

:'''Locally?'''

See "Objectives" above.

:'''In the greater OLPC/Sugar community?'''

See "Objectives" above.

:'''Outside the community?'''

It will be run by community members.

:'''Why can't this project be done [[Emulating_the_XO|in emulation]]
using non-XO machines?'''

See "Objectives" above.

:'''Why are you requesting the number of machines you are asking
for?'''

See "Objectives" above.

::''Will you consider (1) salvaged/rebuilt or (2) damaged XO
Laptops?''

Yes - see "Objectives" above.

===6. Sharing Deliverables===

:'''Project URL:'''

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre#Contributors_Program_proposal

:'''How will you convey tentative ideas & results back to the
OLPC/Sugar community, prior to completion?

# Project sub-pages
# OLPC-UK mailing list
# Grassroots mailing list
# Educational convention presentations and publishing thereof

:'''How will the final fruits of your labor be distributed to children
or community members worldwide?'''

Ongoing - see "Objectives" above

:'''Will your work have any possible application or use outside our
community?'''

Yes - other user groups may pick up the LLLL concept as it relates to
their field and use our experiences to inform their progress.  Our
publicity efforts and web presence will get these ideas out to this
larger audience.

:'''Have you investigated working with nearby [[Projects|XO Lending
Libraries]] or [[Groups|Project Groups]]?'''

Yes (and we hope to become a resource for others!)

===7. Quality/Mentoring===
:'''Would your Project benefit from Support, Documentation and/or
Testing people?'''

Definitely as mentors, but could be great in other capacities. All are
welcome.

:'''Teachers' input into Usability?'''

Possibly, depending on how broadly "usability" is defined.

:'''How will you promote your work?'''

As many media as possible - OLPC UK members have experience in creatig
buzz on the web, mainstream media (UK TV's "Gadget Show"), and just by
walking around with XOs all the time.

:'''Can we help you with an experienced mentor from the OLPC/Sugar
community? ([[Projects|WEB-PUBLISHED]])'''

Yes, but not a pre-requisite as we have a number of experienced people
already...but more help is always welcome.

===8. Timeline (Start to Finish)===

See "Plan of Action" section above.