[Olpc-sysadmin] Adding Local Language & Keyboard Layout

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 12:50:01 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Xahid <zahid.butt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I need help on XO Sugar,
> I want to add Urdu language and keyboard layout in XO Sugar, for the write
> activity.
> what's the procedure ?
>
> Thanks,
> Xahid

Dear Xahid,

Normally I would point you at these pages to learn more about creating
a keyboard layout for the XO.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_layouts
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_A_New_Keyboard_Layout

However, I believe that there is already a keyboard layout designed
(and an XKB file created) for Urdu.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Urdu_Keyboard

So it may be more a matter of configuring your build to be able to
access the Urdu keyboard layout.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images#Keyboard

As I do not know if this keyboard layout has recieved significant
review by native speakers of Urdu, that will certainly be a necessary
first step.

You are welcome (and encouraged) to take this discussion to the
Localization list where there may be some more experience with
different keyboard layouts and their use.