[Olpc-sysadmin] community project portal bugs & patches

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:54:40 EDT 2009

Here are some early bug reports and feature requests for
   http://one.mogidi.net/en/

Source code for this site, originally developed for us by the team at Molecular:
  http://dev.laptop.org/git/sites/groups.l.o/

Please file new bugs against this site in trac.  Below are some early
bug reports that came in via email, to start the conversation.

BUGS

> 1. When trying to upload a picture as an avatar for a profile I ran
> into the following error message:
>
> Warning: imagepng() [function.imagepng]: Unable to open
> '/home/dogi//webroot/images/avatars/9d219af3-1e07-423b-aed0-ff91d8e54bfa.png'

Sounds like file system permissions (again). Webroot/images/avatars and
Webroot/images/logos need to be read/write by apache.

> 2. The "Suggested members" links go to http://~<profile-name> (e.g.
> http://~alexkeybl/) rather than http://one.mogidi.net/de/~alexkeybl

That's an HTML bug in the template  (see
wiki.laptop.org/go/groups.laptop.org for guidelines on updating
templates &c)

> 3. When creating a group under "What sites do you use to publish
> information?" the "Add" button doesn't seem to do anything at the
> moment.

I believe this is fixed, this was something we saw last week, craig had a
fix but since we were moving to the git repo, and didn't have access to it,
I don't think the new code (e.g. Fix) has been put in place.

> 4. When trying to log-on or sending a status update I'm always asked
> whether I want to download a "login" or "updateStatus" file (using
> both Firefox 3.0.11 and IE8 that is), plus when logging in the
> corresponding part of the Web page isn't automatically reloaded to
> show that I'm actually logged in (need to hit refresh to see that).

I can't reproduce this. In fact, I just tried to log in, and it worked
perfectly for me, using ff3.

5. Skin/css style : the left-hand nav should be shorter so that the left-hand
side of the main column is aligned with the "1" in 1 laptop -> child.
each of the icons in the olpc logo should be closer together, as on
laptop.org.   drop the words below any icons in the header except for
the 'community' icon. that way it reads "O L P C community" and again
doesn't try to replicate laptop.org too closely (if we want to go that
route we might as well merge it with 'participate' and stick with 4
sections).  less whitespace b/t the top of the screen and the 1, as
on laptop.org.

USABILITY/FEATURES

A. When signing up the "What ways can people interact with you?" and "
What ways can people send you an instant message?" questions are quite
confusing since they're asking for a Title and URL. It might be easier
to just list the 20 or so most popular services in that area and
directly ask for usernames or something.

B. When creating a group the "Group goals" should be mandatory information
IMHO.

C. I've got no idea what "Follow Group" is supposed to do...

The idea is you want to watch the group's updates.  Maybe call it
"Follow this group" ?