[Olpc-sysadmin] Fwd: translate.laptop.org is not responding at all

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Fri Jun 19 11:14:57 EDT 2009

Chris -

Thanks.  Yes, he should, and would have - if he had known.

There are two problems here.  Users had been using dev.laptop.org/
translate, which had been redirecting to translate.laptop.org.  That
was/is still working, but it should be redirecting people to
translate.sugarlabs.org.  The server running translate.laptop.org was
supposed to also redirect users to translate.sugarlabs.org, and it
would have done so if the machine were working.  It seems that that
machine went down sometime about a day ago and no one noticed or
responded to it.

So what happened was that dev.laptop.org/translate redirected to
translate.laptop.org, which went nowhere.  What should have happened
is that dev.laptop.org/translate redirected to translate.laptop.org,
which should have been a DNS alias to translate.sugarlabs.org.  This
would have produced the right result even if awk (the server
responding to translate.laptop.org) was offline.

Deep is back in action thanks to Sayamindu's help last night, and I'm
responsible for fixing up the DNS work.

	- Ed