[Olpc-sysadmin] Machine status of OWL and proposed reconfiguration

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Thu Jul 23 16:56:30 EDT 2009

> 1. There is a virtual machine called TEST and it appears to be the
> machine that serves http://test.laptop.org.  That site seems to serve
> only the page "It doesn't works!".  I cannot log in to this VM and
> cannot learn anything else about it.

The "It doesn't works!" sounds like me.  Test.l.o was once a VM for
dev work for SJ and myself.  wwwseth.laptop.org is one of the
subdomains attached to the machine.  It broke some time ago and was
never fixed.  Which is why media.l.o became my web-dev machine.
Nothing important going on there now.

> 2. There is a virtual machine called WWW2 that was alleged to be (see http://vig.laptop.org/wiki/index.php/Machine:www2)
>  the machine hosting www.laptop.org, but it's not.  I have suspended
> this VM and I can't figure out what it does.  I cannot log into it, as
> I don't know its IP address, DNS name, or whether I have any account
> on it at all.

This was probably 'pinguin' the machine that was eventually to replace
www that contained php and mysql.  I probably have access to it, but
there is nothing on it of interest.

> 3. There are 40 GB of backup files in the directory /home/sugarbackup/
> backup/sunjammer and more are added daily.  There is no documentation
> whatsoever on the internal wiki or the VIG wiki about these files,
> this directory, or what is supposed to be happening here.

No idea.

At one point Michals generated a list of all of the *.l.o subdomains.
This may be useful for tracking down and mapping, but I'm not sure how
to go about this.

--Seth