[Olpc-sysadmin] VIG Meeting Reminder - today at 4 PM EST

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:27:33 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:

> Volunteer Infrastructure Group meeting today, irc.oftc.net:#olpc-admin
> November 18, 2008 4:00 pm EST -05:00 UTC
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Volunteer_Infrastructure_Group/Agenda
>
> We need to have a focused discussion on how we make sure our current,
> critical services are being managed and maintained.  Thanks very much
> for your assistance - let's plan to start and end promptly for this
> meeting.

Here are some sketched out thoughts on two issues that I think are fairly
current and that might be worth discusslng.  Maybe this goes under "new
business"?  It's always useful to discuss things that are current (hopefully
before they become urgent).

1) Clean (voluntary) Activities migrations:

Some activtity authors are transferring their projects over to the the
gitorious repo at git.sugarlabs.org  http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects

http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam/How_to_migrate_from_OLPC

How to provide a trail of breadcrumbs and close these out on
http://dev.laptop.org/git ?
In most cases these are NOT intended as forks, these are transfers.

see:
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/187
Activity author garycmartin asks "Any idea how I make the
http://dev.laptop.org/browser Moon description show up as "DEPRECATED - see
git.sugarlabs.org"?"
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=activities/moon
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/moon

The point here is not to push anyone off OLPC infrastructure (or maybe not
just yet), but to accomodate those who are moving on their own and serve the
audience that may be looking for these things as well as possible by
cleaning up and leaving forwarding addresses, etc.

2) Pootle:

I have been talking Pootle up with anyone that will listen.  (unmadindu,
dfarning, bernie, EdMc, any one watching #sugar, etc.) and there seems to be
a great desire on all sides to see this done properly.

Clear and consistent communication to the localization and development
communities that proactive steps are being taken (with mutual consent) and
that although there may be some brief downtime and cutover adjustments
needed, the localization process of Sugar in support of the worldwide OLPC
community will continue with minimal disruption and hassle, because the
folks at Sugar Labs and OLPC are all grown-ups and they share a vision of
every child learning in their own language.

On Sugar Labs side:
Buy-in from SL to host a Pootle instance and possibly other bits of L10n
infrastructure (SLOBs).  This seems a given, but should be confirmed.

Commitment of Sugar labs hardware and system admin resources for transition
phase (bernie et al.).  I saw bernie is looking for hosting from the folks
that offer VMs to SugarLabs (on non-open SugarLabs systems list).

Rallying of SL dev-community to support new L10n/build
integration/configuration. (marcopg, etc.).  This is mostly a communication
issue and focusing attention on whatevere changes will need to be made to
have Pootle integrate from pushing to OLPC git to SL Gitorious.  Not sure
how addons.sl.o works into this exactly.

Recruitment of additional ongoing Pootle admin support to supplement
Sayamindu's  OLPC-supported role in anticipation of lower time availability.
Probably TBD on new Sugarlabs instance.

Possible migration of localization list from OLPC mailman to SL mailman (not
urgent, this has happened with other lists).  Not to be done without
discussion on the L10n list first.  Ideally leave in place.

On the OLPC side.

Providing all necessary cooperation during transition activities.
Migrations are always challenging especially when it may include an
upgrade-by-migration.  (OLPC runs Pootle 1.1, 1.2 is current, 1.3beta
expected soon).  There are lots of little details to take care of, for
instance,  migration of Pootle accounts/logins to the extent possible to
avoid making L10n community recreate accounts to continue taking part.

Continued support for Sayamindu's critical role in L10n infrastructure.

Examine opportunities that present themselves during such a
migration/reworking.
- improvement of processes (e.g. version upgrade)
- improvement of documentation (L10n pages on the wiki need love, do they
stay on wiki.l.o or move to wiki.sl.o?)
- improvement in community practices on cooperating with
upstream/downstream.

cjl