[Olpc-sysadmin] spam at wiki, RT and Forum

XO community support volunteer sandy at laptop.org
Tue Feb 17 12:28:21 EST 2009

VIG team:

The issue of spam at RT, wiki and the Forum have been addressed in several
related RT tickets ( see RT1871 and others) and of course other message
threads.

Last week I opened http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=33705  [
which should, I think remain an open issue in the sysadmin queue ]

Here is some data and an update.

Mburns is updating the Forum code and has raised the level of Captcha.

We have also disallowed attachments and excessive URL lines which have been
a pattern in spam and porn posts.

Very recent stats include around 70 new users overnight, 2/17, not
activated... and over 400 new users in the last 4-5 days, most all spammers
which were activated.

It appears likely that the same abuse goes to all three areas: RT, wiki, and
forum...perhaps even the same users abusing these arenas. It is unknown to
me in blog.laptop.org has been subject to similar problems, perhaps
explaining why it appears up then down from day to day.

The forum is prominently listed at the wiki and linked to in many documents,
and is clearly under influence by OLPC.

This note to encourage a coordinated effort!!

Sandy
--
Mr. Sandy Culver
sandy at laptop.org