[Olpc-sysadmin] [Wiki-gang] Another page move attack

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:31:35 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Seth Woodworth <seth at laptop.org> wrote:

> Grr, Arrg.
>
> I am really serious about adding additional tools to combat spam on the
> wiki.
>
> Chris, &etc  If you could set up a new wiki from scratch, what plugins and
> options would it have?
>
> I for one would like recaptcha turned on for the first 30+ edits.
>
> You?
>
> --Seth

I would be happy to have the newbie restrictions turned up a little.  The
move vandalism is really annoying, it is a PITA to fix.

I have also done some semi-protection (not full protection) on these three
pages that had become repetitive page-blanking targets.  I've let it expire
in 3 months because the page-blanking vandals will hopefully have moved on
by then.

 17:21, 9 February 2009 protected "Hardware Power
Domains<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_Power_Domains>"
‎ (frequent page blanking target [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed]
(expires 16:21, 9 May 2009 (UTC)))
05:09, 9 February 2009  protected "Csound <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Csound>"
‎ ([edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed] (expires 04:09, 9 May 2009
(UTC)))
05:09, 9 February 2009 protected "PyoLogo<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/PyoLogo>"
‎ ([edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed] (expires 04:09, 9 May 2009
(UTC)))
Unfortunately, I really don't know enough about the various MediaWiki
extensions and tools that are available to recommend a good set to try or an
optimal configuration, I can however say that what we currently have in
place for page moves (in particular) is insufficient.

cjl