[Olpc-sysadmin] Teach upgrade announcement

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Dec 18 14:04:21 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Teach is currently on F9, which is EOL, and F10 was EOL'd this week.
>
> In light of this, I'm going to upgrade teach to F11 (f9>f10>f11) this
> weekend. This may cause service disruption, but as the MOTD notes, teach is
> not a critical machine and you shouldn't be doing important work on it
> anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> Luke Faraone
> http://luke.faraone.cc

I do not know what runs on teach (I'm assuming its some kind of a server),
but I do wonder why we don't use a server distro that doesn't EOL so
quickly. We use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS for our campus Moodle installation. 8.04 LTS
will EOL in 2013, and 6.06 to 8.04 upgrade was quite painless.

Just curious about the thinking behind the use of Fedora for such purposes.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems