[Olpc-sysadmin] [Systems] Trac wiki becomes read-only

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Aug 7 18:15:56 EDT 2009

El Fri, 07-08-2009 a las 17:29 -0400, Frederick Grose escribió:

> That's great.  I want to work securely, as well. I'm only an
> apprentice at system administration, so am documenting the process
> like this, http://vig.laptop.org/wiki/index.php/Recipe:migratewiki,
> and http://vig.laptop.org/wiki/index.php/Machine:testwiki, and for
> security, would welcome input
> at http://vig.laptop.org/wiki/index.php/Wiki_security.

That's excellent documentation!  I should really get around to writee
something equelly exhaustive for the SL machines too.

> I'll play with wiki-devel (update to MediaWiki 1.15.1, work with
> extensions, etc) for now, and will check with you about the rsync
> later (I'm not concerned about the wiki-devel content for now).

Beware of a trick: our Mediawiki instance is installed from the stable
version of Subversion:

  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download_from_SVN

Extensions come from a separate repository, and need extra care to be
updated as well.  In the past, I had a hard time trying to convince svn
to leave the extensions alone while switching the parent repository to
another branch.

I suggest you make a copy of the whole wiki directory before starting.
Even if you end up breaking everything in the devel environment, don't
worry: I can restore it from the main wiki in no time, and it's useful
administration experience for both me and you ;-)

>   Please comment on my stub at,
> http://vig.laptop.org/wiki/index.php/VIG.l.o_synchronization_with_w.l.o.

The only comment I have is that w.l.o. is really tricky to update due to
a large number of customizations.  A test env is a very useful tool, but
I would also try to streamline and maybe drop a few things we don't use
much.

One such features I'd kill right away is the IP-based locale selection:
very intrusive in Mediawiki's codebase and very annoying for users like
me who want to see English pages only.

> I'll be busy the next 12 days with our Boston field trip,
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Summer_Program/Massachusetts_Field_Trip, but will proceed with testwiki wiki-devel work once I'm back.

Too bad I'll miss this event as I'll be in Boston just after Aug 20.