[Olpc-sysadmin] Recipe:migratewiki

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Tue Aug 4 07:27:51 EDT 2009

Fred -

Thanks!  I've been doing a lot of work in wiki-land, with help from
cjb, in order to keep things running under the daily onslaught of
users from Uruguay.  Things are better, but still not stable and
reliable.  So I still agree (as you mention) that a few "keep things
running" changes will need to happen first.

I need to spend some time updating the documentation on where things
are, as will do so in the next few days when I stop tweaking things.
The major change, however, is that owl.laptop.org has been completely
reconfigured with a RAID 1+0 array and is now designed to serve as a
MySQL database server for the wiki and other systems.  Over the
weekend I migrated the databases for the public wiki, team, and
internalwiki sites and they are now all up and running using owl
(instead of pedal) as their MySQL server.  Pedal is still grossly
overloaded during daytime hours (in Uruguay) and that's a serious
problem because it stalls our mailman and postfix services.  On an
almost daily basis someone asks me why they're unable to scan
documents with the network scanner in the office, and it's because too
many children in Uruguay are downloading Activities from the wiki!!

I will make page updates to the Recipe:migratewiki page as well in
order to keep it up to date with the changes I've been making.  Thanks
again for the help.

	- Ed