[Olpc-sysadmin] Spam was: Fwd: spam filter statistics

Henry Edward Hardy hhardy01 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:55:15 EDT 2008

There are ongoing concerns about spam.

There's a lot of spam on the net, and some of our public facing services
such as mailing lists and ticket systems get an additional amount.

Here are some recent stats from the dedicated spam filter we have.

As you see we reject far more mail than we accept or forward. 1,261 per hour
or about one every three seconds.

We are taking additional steps to ban specific addresses which appear to be
repeat offenders.

There isn't a perfect solution. I also have some cases this week of OLPC
folks' (not at 1cc) mails being eaten by the spam filter, and we have
adjusted the anti spam appliance settings accordingly.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

If you run windows, please make sure your firewall and antivirus are up to
date. Linux folks please close unnecessary ports and services on your own
workstations and laptops. Please send a ticket to sysadmin if you have
questions or would like some help on this.

Using a client such as thunderbird can provide an additional layer of spam
protection and filtering.

--HH.