[Sur] [Sugar-devel] [IAEP] MOTION: French visa for Samson Goddy to attend 10-year Anniversary Scratch Conf / 50-year Anniversary of Logo

Walter Bender walter.bender en gmail.com
Lun Jun 5 15:28:10 EDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Samson Goddy <samsongoddy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I will take sole responsibility for the lost and if it happen, i didn't
>> get the visa.
>>

> My apologies I misunderstood earlier, among the many emails.  That makes
> things very clear, thank you Samson.  Be it then resolved:
>
> "To support Samson Goddy's attending 2017 Scratch conference in Bordeaux,
> France (19-21 July 2017) to strengthen our relationship with Scratch, Sugar
> Labs should allocate up to $500 in support of his obtaining a French visa,
> including (as nec) travel from Port Harcourt to Lagos for as many days as
> required.  Any receipts to this end, Samson will submit to the Software
> Freedom Conservancy.  It is understood that if the French government very
> unfortunately turns down his visa application, preventing him from
> attending Bordeaux, these lost funds will be borne by Samson Goddy."
>
> Thanks in advance to any board members who can second this motion, thereby
> helping Samson/Scratch/Sugar move forward!

While I think it is unconscionable for Sugar Labs not to shoulder the
responsibility of the visa on behalf of one of our members, I will
nonetheless second the motion, bad precedent and all, as it seems to be the
only way to get unstuck.

-walter

--
Walter Bender