[Sur] Fwd: [SLOB] GPLv3 motion

Walter Bender walter.bender en gmail.com
Jue Mayo 12 09:19:29 EDT 2016

My sincerest apologies. I realize I forgot to CC the lists on this email.

So far we have approval for the motion from:

Walter, Sameer, Claudia, José MIguel, Tony, and Lionel. Still waiting to
hear back from Adam, but as you can see, the motion has passed.

regards.

-walter

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 6, 2016 at 8:04 PM
Subject: [SLOB] GPLv3 motion
To: SLOBs <slobs at lists.sugarlabs.org>

At today's Sugar Labs oversight board meeting [1], we discussed the motion
submitted by Sebastian Silva to finalize the transition from GPLv2 to GPLv3
for the Sugar core libraries (Sugar Activity developers are still free to
choose whatever Libre license they prefer for their work.) See [2]. I
second the motion and bring it to you in an email vote.

Background: In 2011 a referendum was held among the membership of Sugar
Labs.

"Based on a sheer count of 1st place votes, v3 received 49% of the vote,
v2 received 29% of the vote, and the apathetic position received the
remaining 22% of the vote."

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2011-July/032529.html

A detailed discussion about the rationale for the change can be found at
[3]. In the more recent discussion at [2], there was some concern regarding
the OLPC anti-theft system, but James Cameron said "Therefore, no
relicensing obstacle as far as OLPC anti-theft is concerned."

Members of the oversight board, please reply to this email solicitation for
a vote on the following motion.

Motion: Complete the transition to GPLv3 for Sugar core libraries as per PR
#685 (https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/685).

regards.

-walter

[1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2016-05-06