[Sur] [SLOBS] [SLOB] Yoruba i18n motion

Claudia Urrea callaurrea en gmail.com
Lun Mayo 9 21:57:46 EDT 2016

+1 to the motion.

Following Lionel's point, I suggest we create a list of languages and
decide which ones are a priority (based on the potential impact) and look
for people to do the job.

Claudia

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 8:32 AM, José Miguel García <josemiguel en argos.edu.uy>
wrote:

> [...]
>> do that, i.e. ask Samson to work on more useful tasks. For example help on
>> initiative like the Tony one to invent an auto localization process.
>>
>> Best regards from France.
>>
>>               Lionel.
>>
>> P.S.: Sorry for my absence at the SLOB meeting. It's my fault but I was
>> online at 19:00 UTC, so at the wrong time...

>>> At today's Sugar Labs oversight board meeting [1], we discussed the
>>> motion submitted by Chris Leonard to fund a program for translation of
>>> Sugar into Yoruba, one of the three main languages spoken in Nigeria. I
>>> second the motion and bring it to you in an email vote.
>>>
>>> Members of the oversight board, please reply to this email solicitation
>>> for a vote on the following motion.
>>>
>>> Motion: To fund a program to initiate the translation of Sugar into
>>> Yoruba. The specific milestones and costs are detailed below. A description
>>> of the rationale for the project is found at [2]. The work would be led by
>>> Samson Goddy and reviewed by Chris Leonard, in his role as Translation
>>> Community Manager.
>>>
>>> This proposal is for the translation of Sugar user interface and
>>> certain Sugar Activities into the Yoruba language (ISO-639 code - yo).
>>>
>>> Milestone 1 - The initial payment of $350 USD will cover startup costs
>>> (internet connection fees, localizer recruitment/training, etc.).
>>> Payment is to be made upon successful completion of contractual
>>> arrangements with fiscal sponsor (SFC).
>>>
>>> Milestone 2 - Glucose - Payable upon completion and upload to Pootle
>>> of the PO files for sugar, sugar-toolkit-gtk3, OLPC_switch_desktop
>>> will be for $1,350 USD. Included in this milestone is a $300 USD
>>> project management fee, in addition to fees of approximately 40
>>> cents/word for the projects included in this milestone.  The uploaded
>>> files must pass all "critical" error checks (as flagged by the Pootle
>>> software) and be approved by the Sugar Labs Translation Community
>>> Manager, such approval not to be unreasonably withheld.
>>>
>>> Milestone 2 must be completed prior to Milestone 3.
>>>
>>> Milestone 3 - Fructose - Payable upon completion and upload of the PO
>>> files for Calculate, Chat, ImageViewer, Jukebox, Log, Paint, Pippy,
>>> Portfolio, Read, ReadETexts, Record, Speak, Terminal, TurtleArt, Web,
>>> Write will be for $2,300 USD. Included in this milestone is a $675 USD
>>> project management fee, in addition to fees of approximately 40
>>> cents/word for the projects included in this milestone.  The uploaded
>>> files must pass all "critical" error checks (as flagged by the Pootle
>>> software) and be approved by the Sugar Labs Translation Community
>>> Manager, such approval not to be unreasonably withheld.
>>>
>>> Total anticipated costs for all three milestone payments will be $4,000
>>> USD.
>>>
>>> All projects are hosted on the Sugar Labs Pootle server at
>>>
>>> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/yo/
>>>
>>> Translation may be performed off-line with subsequent upload to the

>>> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2016-05-06
>>> [2]