[Sur] [IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion: to undertake a fund raising drive.

Laura Vargas laura en somosazucar.org
Lun Jun 6 00:26:24 EDT 2016

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be en gmail.com> wrote:

>>> To pay for labour to achieve goals, such as the existing translations
>>> and finance manager roles and perhaps others in the future; to find out
>>> which members are active in 2016; to pay for all travel expenses for all
>>> active members to attend a sugar summit... there are countless things you
>>> can do with general funds.
>>

>> Dave - Walter means how we articulate to potential donors, i.e. the
>> compelling story I have mentioned. It's a marketing problem and rushing
>> through a motion is not the solution - we need to be clear what our vision
>> and major goals are, and relate them convincingly to donors.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> +1. I am in favor of a fund raising effort it is has a clear goal and
> message as to what the funds are for. A fund-raiser to hold a Sugar Summit
> would be a really nice thing, for example. Can we rough out a budget so we
> can set a target for the fund raiser? (An open-ended, non-specific campaign
> smells like Tyranny :P in the spirit of the article you shared with me the
> other day [1]).
>
> I don't know if it is realistic in terms of timing, but doing a Global
> Sugar Summit in conjunction with the Libre Learning Summit [2] being
> organized by Mariah in October at MIT (we already have a venue) would be
> ideal.

+1 for a Global Sugar Summit to build our strategic plan.

If we can't make it to MIT in October there is another interesting option
for November 2016, as in Bolivia will take place the "III Cumbre
Continental de Comunicación Indígena", a very relevant event for indigenous
languages that already considers a technical space to talk about free
software and that takes place every 3 years in a different location each
time.

http://cumbresdecomunicacionindigena.org/

We might not even need to raise funds, as probably this activity will fit
within the Trip Advisor grant spirit.

> regards.
>
> -walter
>
> [1] http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm