[Sur] Sugar Digest 2015-10-18

Walter Bender walter.bender en gmail.com
Dom Oct 18 23:09:03 EDT 2015

== Sugar Digest ==

1. Sugar Labs is going to apply again this year to be one of the
organizations in the Google Code-in contest. As you may recall, Google
Code-in is a global programming contest for youths 13-17. We have
participated the past three years and it has been a very rewarding
experience: we have brought many new contributors into Sugar Labs
through the program and have had a lot of fun as well. The next few
weeks will be critical to the application process. We need to build a
collection of tasks for the contestants in five areas:
Documentation/Training; Outreach/Research; User Interface; Quality
Assurance; and coding. Please send me suggestions or add your ideas to
the GCI 2015 wiki page [1]. We also need mentors. If you are
interested in participating, please contact me.

2. The Membership committee is launching a campaign to add new members
and reaffirm the interest of current members. Expect to hear from them
by the end of the month. We will also be soliciting candidates for the
Sugar Labs Oversight Board (SLOB), with the election scheduled for
December.

3. I've been following up on one of our Google Summer of Code
projects, Music Blocks, by Yash Khandelwal under the mentorship of
Devin Ulibarri. We have been really having fun and are close to
releasing Version 1.0. Please help us with testing. You can run it
from [2]. A programming guide is available at [3]. The source is at
[4].

=== In the community ===

4. The Journal RED is available on line at [5]. This issue is chockful
of "Sugary" articles.

=== Tech Talk ===

5. Aleksey Lim has an update to the Sugar Network project. After 18
months, there are approximately 300 unique daily users (in Peru). You
can find more statistics at [6]. His plans going forward can be seen
at [7, 8, 9].

6. Please help Martin and the Developer Team test Sugar 106 [10]. Your
feedback is important to us.

=== Sugar Labs ===

5. Please visit our planet [11].

-walter