[Sur] [IAEP] [SLOBS] "New Co" / Nueva Empresa

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress en gmail.com
Mie Mayo 23 02:44:42 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot en sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> My point was about joining existing crowdfunding effort in edu field,
> i.e., the goals are the same and, most likely, we will just duplicate
> existing implementation.

In the US, one prominent .edu crowdfunding org is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DonorsChoose

However, their scope is US-only, a better model might be something like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobalGiving

or even an entrepreneurial-oriented program like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka:_Innovators_for_the_Public

It may be possible to leverage these or other platforms (rather than
recreate them), but even to do that efficiently would most likely take
an umbrella organization that local efforts can plug into.

In some sense, I think we might need what university academics would
recognize as an Office of Sponsored Programs or Development Office to
provide fundraising assistance.

I do agree with Aleksey that the answer will not be solely financial
in nature, but my attention keeps returning to that aspect as it may
have the greatest impact on the form of organization to be developed
to supplement the software development efforts of Sugar Labs (as an
SFC-embedd3ed entity).

cjl