[Sur] Videos de youtube

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois en gmail.com
Mar Sep 16 16:42:44 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 17:24:35 Walter Bender wrote:
> It is possible to convert from one video format to another. In fact
> YouTube converts from many formats to FV when you upload movies to the
> website. But they do not accept OGG, the format used by Record. (I
> have filed a bug report with them about this omission.)
>
> There are several disadvantages to format conversion: it can require
> proprietary tools if you are converting to or from a proprietary
> format such as FV; it might need a powerful computer--more powerful
> than the XO--depending upon the file sizes and formats; and there is
> typically a loss of quality. That said, it is necessary under many
> circumstances.
>
> regards.
>
> -walter

  I'm worried that this could also be a violation of YouTube's Terms of
Service [1], specifically this part:

"B. You may access User Submissions solely:
for your information and personal use;
as intended through the normal functionality of the YouTube Service; and
for Streaming.
"Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of an audiovisual
work via the Internet from the YouTube Service to a user's device in such a
manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be
copied, stored, permanently downloaded, or redistributed by the user.
Accessing User Videos for any purpose or in any manner other than Streaming is
expressly prohibited. User Videos are made available "as is.""
  I'm not a lawyer, but this would mean that even downloading the content
would be illegal.
  On the other hand, OLPC may have the weight to approach Google with a
teacher-made list of content for them to allow us to encode into ogg?. It may
be far-off but I'm sure they have at least experimented with Ogg.
  I've also heard from Chris Hoffman himself that Ogg Theora will be supported
natively by firefox in the short term, and it looks like it's already in the
nightly builds [0]!
[0] http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492
--
  -Andrés