[Sur] [OLPC-Peru] Windows en OLPC XO Peru

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy en gmail.com
Lun Sep 15 17:24:18 EDT 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:06:09 -0500, Walter Bender <walter.bender en gmail.com> wrote:

>> My point is:
>>
>> * If teachers consider having YouTube and applets educationally valuable (In this discussion list teachers don't ask much but one of the few things that they have asked for is YouTube. I personally don't think that YouTube is very educationally valuable. )
>>
>> * And if the Windows laptops come ready for YouTube and applets (versus current Sugar laptops that don't come ready for YouTube and applets)
>>
>> then that is a plus for the Windows laptops.
>
> The fact that the current Sugar laptops "don't come ready for YouTube
> and applets" is a local choice, not one inherent in the system,

if it happens that the windows laptops do run YouTube videos and applets, the end result will be:

* windows laptops have one of the few features teachers have cared about.
* Sugar laptops don't.

whose choice was it is irrelevant.

> so to
> argue that one should switch to Windows laptops for something readily
> available on *any* laptop seems a bit of a stretch.

There is nothing more readily available than "preinstalled". The next best thing is "easily installed".

I bet that even now, that the technicians from Uruguay know that teachers want access to YouTube, the laptops won't come with the feature. Am I wrong?

Daniel