[OLPC-SF] follow up re last (April 20) meeting

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Mon Apr 29 20:24:18 EDT 2013

I'm looking over my jottings from our April 20th meeting.

Sameer was discussing the Pathagar book server and we had a discussion
about what constitutes a "server."
It's good to have a professor around: Sameer clarified things by
pointing out that the correct terms are "server" for the hardware, and
"service" for the software.

We may need Sameer to clarify things further but here's my
understanding.  In the case of Pathagar, it is a web based service in
that it relies on a "Web Server" (in our case we are using Apache which
is really a 'service') which receives requests from clients and then
forwards them to Pathagar which I believe could be called a back end
service in that it prepares the appropriate response and sends it back
via the Web Server.

We've been successful in implementing Pathagar on a variety of
platforms but all Debian based.  There is incentive to figure out how to
run it on a Fedora based system, but to my knowledge no one's been
successful so far.

to try to address this and other issues. What is the next step?

In the mean time those interested are invited to have a look at the
following:
pathagar.info:5180
and
pathagar.info:5380
The former describes our experiences installing pathagar (this site is
running on a SheevaPlug) and the latter is a running installation
(running on a Raspberry Pi.)  I've also got Pathagar running on a
DreamPlug destined to go to Madagascar in a couple of months.  For our
next meeting, people might be interested in a little demonstration of
what June is putting together to take over there.
All constructive comments and any questions would be most welcome.

The highlight of the meeting for me was to meet Lyubov Bufu of Tuva,
now living in San Francisco.  There was some enthusiasm for helping her
achieve her goal of putting XO's into the hands of children in her small
town.  Can we keep that momentum going? (Nina, we sure could have used
your help translating!)

And finally, some house keeping:
I notice that the olpc-sf site still has the next meeting as being
April 20th
and there's no announcement as to the 2013 summit.