[OLPC-SF] XS 0.7 USB prep: Need Help

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Wed Feb 29 00:01:01 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Cherry Withers <cwithers at ekindling.org>
> wrote:
> > How do I get to the gui? During install I opted out of the "minimal"
> install
> > and checked webserver and checked the XS OLPC School Server box. I'm
> able to
> > get in as root after the install, went through initial config and network
> > config (just running the commands on the wiki) but can't get to gui.
>
> What kind of GUI are you expecting? Something related to the XS
> functionality? The closest thing to a GUI that comes with the XS is
> moodle.

Yes, I was expecting for Moodle after the Initial Configuration steps. It's
naive. I know I still need some work to do on the network side before I can
even ping the XS with an XO (I am not an IT person so I will need guidance
from George or somebody else for this. Incidentally ifconfig reveals that
it's receiving packets on eth0 and Local Loopback), but I thought
regardless of whether I can reach the XS with XO/non-XO devices, I thought
at the very least I might still have access to Moodle in the XS after
installation??

Also, I registered my XO with an XS that we set-up at the last OLPC-SF
meeting. Does this mean that I won't be able to register that XO to another
XS? If so, could someone please email me privately on how I may be able to
bypass this? Thanks!

Thanks,
Cherry