[OLPC-SF] Power anyone?: Failing adapters and batteries

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Fri Nov 18 12:34:54 EST 2011

Hi Folks,

Please see a snippet of a report below from our support person in Lubang
Philippines. Can't say our group wasn't bracing for this. The source of the
failures for 1) and 2) is yet to be determined. Our support person there do
not have the equipment nor the time to go in depth on figuring it out (he
did some initial tests based on troubleshooting guidelines available
online). But one thing that's of great concern for our group was the
frequent power outages in the island. We've witnessed the power cycling 5-6
times when we were there. We can't go on replacing these parts until we at
least address a healthy power supply.

So having said that...I know this had already been done somewhere and we
don't want to re-invent the wheel. I am looking for designs for bulk/gang
chargers (200 laptops) with surge protection built in and which takes
advantage of local materials, and potential to scale (we can't afford solar
panels yet). The link to the XO Bulk charger on the OLPC-SF page gives me
an error.

Thankfully, the children are managing with charging their laptops in
neighbors homes and the teachers brought extension cords so the ones
without working batteries can work in the classroom. They are managing ok
for now.

Thanks,
Cherry

Good PM! With regards to our OLPC Program here in Lubang we wish to raise
some concerns on our XO Laptops:
1.      We already have 30 units of non-working chargers, 20 units from the
1st deployment (launched November 2010) and 10 units for the second
deployment (launched Oct 2011. Four weeks of use!!!).

2.      We have 15 units of non-working XO Laptop batteries, 9 units from
the 1st deployment and 6 units from the 2nd deployment .

3.      We found some problems on the Internal Storages of XO Laptops
specifically the Micro SD Storages, 2 units from the 1st deployment and 8
units from the 2nd deployment.