[OLPC-SF] Partnering with OLPC

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri May 20 11:42:06 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Evan Markiewicz
<emarkiewicz at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I am writing to introduce you to our organization, ViviendasLeon.  We are a
> non-profit community development and global education organization based in
> San Francisco and Leon, Nicaragua.  We work in rural communities creating
> development programs in construction, environmental, economic, capacity
> building and education development.  We have recently been informed of your
> organization by a teacher in San Rafael who knows of your organization OLPC
> and recommended we contact you.
>
> I would like to know how we might partner with OLPC to provide computer
> training and equipment for the pre-school through 11th grade students in the
> communities we work in, and for small business start ups we develop in
> Nicaragua.
>
> ViviendasLeon partners with other organizations and institutions to provide
> the spectrum of development programs we offer in Nicaragua.  One of these
> partners is the USF School of Business.  We have been working with the PSIP
> program there for 3 years to develop small businesses including a sewing
> cooperative and our current project, a bee keeping cooperative.   These
> small businesses in particular, and like everything we do in Nicaragua is a
> laboratory to explore best practices in development and implementation of
> projects uniquely suited to the location and community.
>
> We would be interested to find out how we might work with you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Evan
> --
> Evan Markiewicz
> Executive Director
>
> ViviendasLeón
> Sustaining Communities
> Connecting Cultures
>
> 1585 Folsom St.
> San Francisco, CA  94103
> (415) 255-2920
> (415) 255-2921 fax
> evan at viviendasleon.org
>
> www.viviendasleon.org

Hi Evan,
Looks like you got some good pointers. Given that you are local to SF,
do get on our mailing list (I had to approve your post as you are not
subscribed as yet) and come to our meetings, where we have about 12+
micro deployments, training/repair sessions, updates, etc.
http://olpcsf.org/

OLPC SF itself does not do any projects or deployments but acts as a
hub to bring people and their projects together in and around San
Francisco.

Mailing list info is at the bottom of this post.

Next meeting is on June 11, 2011 at 10 AM +4 hours at #553, 835 Market
St, San Francisco, CA

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems