[OLPC-SF] some pointers from yesterday's meeting

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Jun 12 22:34:51 EDT 2011

Hello!

Some pointers from yesterday's meeting.

To keep up with ALL that goes on in the project, subscribe to RSS
feeds from http://planet.laptop.org/ and http://planet.sugarlabs.org/
Don't know what RSS is, or how to subscribe? Here's some homework:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nihk8Nsbkg

The Tuva project (presented last month) posts updates at
http://olpctuva.wordpress.com Their XOs are now in Tuva. Pictures are
posted on their blog. The Bhagmalpur project that I am running in
India has its updates posted at http://bhagmalpur.wordpress.com

Of course, you can get ALL these updates via http://planet.laptop.org
and http://planet.sugarlabs.org/ Both these planet feeds consolidate
updates from a ton of OLPC-related blogs and sites and provide the
updates in one location.

The Lego WeDo kit I had with me yesterday sells for US $129 (many
people asked about this). This kit comes with a motor, a
infrared-based distance sensor and a motion sensor plus a set of parts
to build little robots. The robot can then be programmed using Scratch
on the XO. Lego info here:
http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/product/lego_education_wedo_robotics_construction_set/2096
Scratch info here: http://scratch.mit.edu/ If you plan on using
Scratch to program the Lego robot, be sure to enable the module (must
do this once on the XO). Thanks to Claudia Urrea for that info.
Details here: http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2011-May/032014.html

OLPC SF Community Summit planning continues. Watch for updates on this
list and at http://olpcsf.org/

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems