[OLPC-SF] HOLIDAY GIFT PREVIEW: Software Release 10.1.3 (for XO-1 and XO-1.5!)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Dec 14 03:44:13 EST 2010

For those who missed Simon Schampijer and Gary Martin's beautiful Sunday
presentation of the imminent OLPC Release 10.1.3, with these guys
calling in all the way from Berlin and Scotland -- you truly missed out!!

RECAP: Expect a/the near-final Release Candidate of v10.1.3 here in the
coming ~24hrs or so:

     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.3#Installation

BETTER YET: Final release is likely prior to Christmas!  As the new
school year starts in South America in not-so-many weeks/months!

All the more reason to dive in testing these great new features
a.s.a.p., requested by real-world deployments in South Americans
especially -- using this gorgeous page Simon has put together explaining
(A) dandy new stuff and (B) how you can help:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/10.1.3/Testing

Even Richard's electrical power tracking is there so you can evaluate
solar electricity effectiveness etc :)

BEST OF ALL: Simon's thoroughness and explanations above are truly
inspiring.  Notably his particular interested in creating a smooth ride,
friendly and backwards-compatible for teachers who've made backups of
kids' Journals onto USB sticks, using prior versions like Sugar .82
derivatives such as http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.1 etc.
Kindly do him a favor and give this a go!  Posting your data-upgrade
results to the wiki above, no matter how cleanly your/kids' portfolios
upgrade to v10.1.3's based on Sugar .84.

Just one more example: we talked a lot about the "Mesh Networking" being
replaced by Ad-Hoc Networking going forward, based on
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Ad_hoc_Networking and how this can
in fact work with XO-1s and XO-1.5s all under the same tree!  Thanks to
the new "Mayan Notation" symbols for Channels 1, 6 and 11 you (and
hopefully the masses ;) will soon see in your Neighborhood View.  If
anybody can please provide tailored screenshots to Luke who's about to
release the brand new http://laptop.org/start that'd be *awesome*, as
he's on the verge of publishing our 99%-done polished results from this
spring's DC doc sprint, around these 2 pages especially:

     http://teach.laptop.org/www.l.o/en/laptop/start/connecting.shtml
     http://teach.laptop.org/www.l.o/en/laptop/start/neighborhoodview.shtml

PS Caryl, Nancie, Christoph & all the others on Sunday's call can help
explain if you get stuck!  During the call I myself meant to ask how
exactly Release 10.1.3 compares to
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Dextrose, and how they might co-evolve
together/apart?  But time ran out as v10.1.3 filled up the whole hour,
so keep up the great work as in the end we have a great topic to ponder
for next time :)