[OLPC-SF] Sugar Camp

Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Aug 24 15:56:42 EDT 2010

Walter Bender wrote:
> One topic only touched upon briefly was the need for a Sugar Camp. We
> have two offers of venues: Bolzano the week of November 6 and Miami
> during a time to be determined. If you would be interested in
> attending a Sugar camp sometime in the November/early December time
> frame, please contact me and also, if you have a preference of venue,
> please voice it.

Oct 21/22 - 24 in San Francisco makes the most sense to me, given it
will be the largest gathering of OLPC/Sugar/Realness implementors ever:
(well over 30 RSVP'd so far, from 4+ continents, even before broad
announcement!)
http://olpcsf.org/CommunitySummit2010

Sameer Verma who arranged great hosting with SF State Univ here says we
can accommodate 100 people.  Mike Lee's been working hard on beautiful
artistic announcements appearing here shortly, eg:
http://flickr.com/photos/curiouslee

The barcamp-style agenda already shows great Edu, Tech, Depl & Outreach
tracks, growing fast after we all promote this in coming weeks :)
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_SanFranciscoBayArea/OLPCSF_Community_Summit_2010#Possible_Topics

In fact those volunteers who've been working hard putting this together
have drawn heavily upon prior Sugar/XO/Realness Camps and Book Sprints, eg:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Events/MiniCamp_Paris_2009
May 2009
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ClassActs Sep 2009
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Events/Sugarcamp_Bolzano_2009
Nov 2009
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_SanFranciscoBayArea/OLPCSF_Community_Summit_2009
Nov 2009
http://realness.org May/June 2010

The group is considering a very small (perhaps $30) charge to help with
T Shirts and potentially some partial funding of travel scholarships for
those from outside North America.  Not yet finalized, but remote access
will also be strongly encouraged.  Plz join the Very Awesome volunteer
organizers here if you can!!