[OLPC-SF] Overview of Development Email Lists

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 03:43:08 EDT 2010

Hello all,

Fedora Linux powers all of the XOs deployed with standard OLPC
provided "releases" or "builds."  Red Hat has been a strong sponsor of
the OLPC project for many years.  New Sugar activity can be found for
the pre-release Fedora 13 "Goddard" at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sugar_Activities including testing
results.  Testing is a great way to contribute to any open source
effort.  There are many related mail lists available for Sugar Labs
http://lists.sugarlabs.org , OLPC http://lists.laptop.org and Fedora.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org

A new project discussed on the ubuntu-sugarteam at lists.ubuntu.com mail
list is working to package Sugar for Ubuntu.  I asked Thomas Gillard a
question on the ubuntu-sugarteam mail list and have attached his reply
below.  A good way to emulate a sugar environment (or Windows or some
other Linux distribution) while running Ubuntu is VirtualBox.  My test
of the virtualbox image linked below has been very positive.
Unfortunately my experience with the sugar-emulator / xephyr nested X
server has been frustrating due to a bug that makes my keyboard
unusable in one way or another.  A related effort to develop and test
an Ubuntu Sugar Remix (USR mentioned below) is intended to create an
alternative version of Ubuntu that supports Sugar.  Testing is going
on now with new daily builds of the packaged activities even though
the remix has some obvious bugs at the moment.  I expect most of them
to be fixed soon.  Ubuntu related mail lists are found at
http://lists.ubuntu.com

I am happy to answer any related questions that you can think of,
however I please ask that any question uses a new, specific Subject:
line so it will be easier to track discussions.  These kinds of
discussions are exactly what this email list is intended to facilitate
so let's make the most of it!

Cheers,

Grant Bowman
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors